Saturday 24 September 2016

I regret not visiting Da’Grin on his sick bed’ – General Pype


General Pype has expressed regrets for not
visiting late rapper, Da’Grin at the hospital before
his death.
before he passed. Now in a remorseful mood, the
reggae singer told news men that he lacked the
courage to face the rapper, who was in a
deplorable health condition at the time.
Though he was encouraged by a female
acquaintance to make the hospital trip, General
Pype claimed he had banked on seeing Da Grin
when he gets discharged from the
hospital. Unfortunately, it was to be the last
moments for the rapper.

“I met Da Grin through Sheyman who told me that
he was one of my biggest fans. I sat outside my
house one day when he came around. When I saw
him, I asked if he was Da Grin and he answered in
the affirmative.”
“He seemed so excited to meet me and from that
day till he died, he never called me General Pype,
he always referred to me as Baba. I really miss him
a lot. I miss the fact that he was down-to-earth
despite the way the entertainment industry could
be.”
“Da Grin was a very humble, thoughtful and kind
guy. He loved me because he was also from
Abeokuta.”

“The most painful part of our relationship was the
fact that when he was in the hospital, I did not go
to visit him. I was just waiting for the day he
would be discharged so that I could jokingly slap
his head and scold him for drinking and driving
but I did not get to do that.”
“I am so pained because a day before his death, I
was supposed to visit him with a girl I was dating
then who was in the media. The lady asked me to
accompany her and when she noticed my
reluctance, she said I could sneak into the
hospital and nobody would see me but I refused.”
“I told her that I did not want to see him in that
state and that I wanted him to come out of it alive
but he never did. I never visited him at the
hospital; I was waiting for him to come home. I
regret that I did not visit him in the hospital.”
“My father always told me that you do not need to
have billions before you show love towards
someone. Your time, presence, and kind messages
would go a long way. I really regret the fact that I
did not go to the hospital to check on him.”
Da Grin’s death was a sad experience for music in
Nigeria, as the late rapper represented a new idea
different from what used to be the norm.
He brought anger, sarcasm, pride and the hardship
faced by people living a deprived life into his
song.
“Ghetto Dreamz” , a film starring Trybson Dudukoko
and Doris Simeon-Ademinokan , was released in
April 2011 to mirror the life of the latter rapper
who was once a beacon of

No comments:

Post a Comment